Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Flowers, pizza, cake and trophy!

‘Miss Sandra’ brightened Applebee’s for 15 years

By Mandy Catoe
The Lancaster News
<div class="source">MANDY CATOE/The Lancaster News</div><div class="image-desc">Sandra Rollings, left, and Applebee’s manager Darann Weingand share a laugh at Rollings retirement party. “I am going to miss my Darann,” Rollings said.</div><div class="buy-pic"><a href="/photo_select/60717">Buy this photo</a></div>
Sandra Rollings, left, and Applebee’s manager Darann Weingand share a laugh at Rollings retirement party. “I am going to miss my Darann,” Rollings said.


Sandra Rollings, who turned 71 this week,  finished her last shift at Applebee’s as the guest of honor this week, receiving flowers, pizza, cake and a trophy.
For 15 years, she has worked a few hours each week at the Lancaster restaurant, prepping food for the cook.
Her manager, Darann Weingand, told her she could take the day off Wednesday and just enjoy the party and the celebration of her retirement.
But Rollings would have none of that. “I’m going to work today,” she said, chowing down on a piece of pizza. “I’m going to do my job.”
Other Applebee’s retirees do not get a party this extravagant. Her co-workers wanted to do this one up right. Even the kitchen staff stopped work to get in the photo with her.
“Sandra is special,” Weingand said during the celebration. “Talking about her not coming back will make me cry…. But we are excited for her.”
Weingand and Rollings have worked together for 14 years.
Asked what she would miss most about her job, Rollings said: “My Darann. I am going to miss my Darann.”
Weingand echoed back, “I’m going to miss you too, Miss Sandra.”
“I will miss hearing her say, ‘Hey my Darann,’ and her hugging me,” Weingand said. “I’m the only one she hugs.”
Rollings smiled and whispered, “I will miss that little check.”
She then broke out in her distinctive laugh. Her co-workers smiled at each other, enjoying a joyful sound they have grown accustomed to and are not yet ready to relinquish.
Ann McCants and her staff from the Chester-Lancaster Board of Disabilities and Special Needs were there to celebrate with Rollings. She is a client there.
“Will you buy the paper when I am in it, Ann?” Rollins called across the table.
McCants nodded.
Rollings said her next day at work would have been Friday, and she is not sure how she will spend that time.
“I never did dream I would retire,” Rollings said. “It’s time to give it up.”
She assured her co-workers, who were taking cell phone photos of her, that she would come back to visit.
Rollings said she’s pretty sure she will be hard to replace.
“Nobody will be able to do what I’ve done,” she said. “Not for all these years.”

<div class="source">MANDY CATOE/The Lancaster News</div><div class="image-desc">Members of the Applebee’s staff gather to celebrate the retirement of one of their own – Sandra Rollings. They are, from left, Mo Chambers, Alisha Wright, Rollings, Lisa Pagen, Bailey Popoff and manager Darann Wiengand.</div><div class="buy-pic"><a href="/photo_select/60719">Buy this photo</a></div>
Members of the Applebee’s staff gather to celebrate the retirement of one of their own – Sandra Rollings. They are, from left, Mo Chambers, Alisha Wright, Rollings, Lisa Pagen, Bailey Popoff and manager Darann Wiengand.




Follow Reporter Mandy Catoe on Twitter @MandyCatoeTLN or contact her at (803) 283-1152.

No comments:

Post a Comment